Great Oakland Public Schools Leadership Center (GO) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that provides education, advocacy, and leadership to support a coalition of Oakland families, students, teachers, principals, community and civic leaders united around a positive, student-oriented vision for public education in our city.
In 2009-10, over 250 diverse constituents from across the city endorsed GO's Declaration of Beliefs and Visions for improving Oakland Schools. The Declaration was based on six fundamental conditions for attaining quality in our school system:
(1) Give schools and school site leaders autonomy in return for accountability for student achievement;
(2) Attract, develop, and keep excellent, effective teachers;
(3) Attract, develop, and keep excellent, effective school and district leaders;
(4) Ensure personalized educational experiences that prepare all students for life, college, and career;
(5) Promote and ensure diversity and innovation in school programs including charter public schools; and
(6) Treat families and community as allies and partners in the work of educating Oakland students.
Since our launch in 2009, GO Public Schools Leadership Center has connected the public to public education by informing and empowering community member about district and school policies and practices through communications and events. We also work with volunteer issue groups, community organizations, district and charter school leaders to develop and inform policy to improve public education in Oakland.
Support for our work
Great Oakland Public Schools Leadership Center is very grateful to have received funding from the following foundations:
We acknowledge and appreciate all those who have contributed to Great Oakland Public Schools Leadership Center, including the following recent supporters:
Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 5:00 PM
Join us for a night of interaction with the new Wellness Policy and learn more about the School Meal Program at OUSD schools.
Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 6:30 PM
WHENWednesday, November 12th from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PMWHEREChabot Elementary School, Multi-Purpose Room, 6686 Chabot Road. WHATThis will be a great opportunity for parents, students, teachers and other staff, and community members to meet our new Superintendent, learn more about his...
Thursday, November 13, 2014, 3:30 PM
This free event is co-sponsored by the California Department of Education, the Californians Dedicated to Education Foundation, and Attendance Works. Please share the attached flyer with your colleagues.