At GO, we believe that every child deserves a quality school, and it's the responsibility of everyone in the community to help provide one.
Great Oakland Public Schools Leadership Center (GO) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that provides education, advocacy, and leadership to support a coalition of Oakland families, students, teachers, principals, community and civic leaders united around a positive, student-oriented vision for public education in our city.
In 2009-10, over 250 diverse constituents from across the city endorsed GO's Declaration of Beliefs and Visions for improving Oakland Schools. The Declaration was based on six fundamental conditions for attaining quality in our school system:
(1) Give schools and school site leaders autonomy in return for accountability for student achievement;
(2) Attract, develop, and keep excellent, effective teachers;
(3) Attract, develop, and keep excellent, effective school and district leaders;
(4) Ensure personalized educational experiences that prepare all students for life, college, and career;
(5) Promote and ensure diversity and innovation in school programs including charter public schools; and
(6) Treat families and community as allies and partners in the work of educating Oakland students.
Since our launch in 2009, GO Public Schools Leadership Center has connected the public to public education by informing and empowering community member about district and school policies and practices through communications and events. We also work with volunteer issue groups, community organizations, district and charter school leaders to develop and inform policy to improve public education in Oakland.
Support for our work
Great Oakland Public Schools Leadership Center is very grateful to have received funding from the following foundations:
Sunday, March 22, 2015, 2:00 PM
Elementary student finals of the oratorical festival.
Sunday, March 22, 2015, 6:00 PM
Middle and high school student finals of the oratorical festival.
Thursday, March 26, 2015, 9:30 AM
Featuring the Mills Teacher Scholars process for developing teacher learning and leadership.
Friday, March 27, 2015, 9:26 AM
Educators from South Africa will share LEAP Schools' innovative life orientation model.
Wednesday, April 1, 2015, 9:05 AM
Come hear Ruth Alahydoian, OUSD's new Chief Financial Officer, speak on how the district developed local priorities for the coming school year.