Want millions more in funding for our schools? Act now
In News Blog
We agree with Gov. Brown: "Equal treatment for children in unequal situations is not justice."
The Governor is supporting a Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) which will improve California's school finance system by increasing funding for students with greater needs and giving more control to local communities.
What does this mean for Oakland? Using OUSD's current enrollment, the LCFF projections show that:
- In the 2013-14 school year, OUSD is projected to receive an additional $331 per pupil, for a $12 million increase in district funding.
- In the 2020-21 school year, when LCFF is fully funded, OUSD is projected to receive an additional $1580 per pupil over what what the current system would have allocated. This means a $56.8 million increase in overall district funding.
Join us in supporting LCFF by visiting fairshare4kids.org
and take action. Thank you for taking time to reach out and support Oakland and California's kids!
We support LCFF for a variety of reasons, including because it:
- Acknowledges that some students, such as those who are learning English, or children raised in poverty, face greater challenges and need additional resource in order to have a fair opportunity. LCFF invests in these students so they are more likely to become our next doctors, scientists, and teachers.
- Increases local control, which improves transparency, reduces red tape, and makes it easier for all to understand and engage in the process.
- Involves parents in decision-making at their schools by requiring the accountability plan be presented to parent groups, and builds in avenues for community input.
As it nears passage, it is critically important that the LCFF retains its accountability features. These will help ensure that the additional LCFF money is used on behalf of our most vulnerable students. At GO, we are committed to ensuring that happens here in Oakland.
Join us in supporting Local Control Funding Formula by visiting fairshare4kids.org
and taking action. Thank you for taking the time to reach out and support Oakland and California's children.